Thursday, March 13, 2014

Over The Hump

Well, I've made it a week blogging daily.  It's been tough.  Today is tough, too.  I haven't really got anything planned for today, so we'll go with some sort of "stream of consciousness" thing.

I watched the Columbus Blue Jackets fall to the San Jose Sharks this evening. It was in OT so they'll still get a point for the loss.  I wasn't particularly glued to it...

...which was NOT the case for the season premier of Hell's Kitchen.  I watched as much of it as I could.  There was a slight delay where I had to drive home from work, but missing a little bit of TV was well worth being able to enjoy the ending in the privacy of my own home. It looks like this season is going to be chockabuck full of co...wait no this isn't the famous line from Love Actually... drama.  Looks like there are going to be a ton more fights than they usually have, and that there won't be as much self control.  Now, I've had my fair share of break downs and "rage blackouts" but what I find amusing is how you have to wonder if the contestants really don't know that there is going to be such high intensity... I mean, they're in Season 12, right?  Get a clue.

But I watched it today and really understood why they let that stuff go on.  I am sure that a good bit of it has to do with the entertainment value, but Chef Ramsay doesn't seem to be the type of guy that would compromise the well being of his name and fame by letting fools run his highly acclaimed restaurants. In life, you very rarely work with a group in which you get along with every single person 100% of the time.  And if you're one of the select few that rise up the ranks in your field, you'll very rarely be viewed as the best one suited for the job by everyone else who didn't get that position you got. And when you get to the final 3 or 4 contestants you can see that it turns into who has the most leadership skill.

But in terms of me and my life it reminds me that people weren't all meant to get along with each other, it's all about the way you look at the hand you're dealt.  Everybody on that show loves what they do, you would suspect, otherwise, why embarrass yourself on national TV?  And you shouldn't let the people who bully you or irritate you or make you look foolish on account of their own mistakes dictate who you really are, right? Isn't that the point?  Rise above, not against?

I read the gist of an article on toxic people today.  It dealt with how nobody is an exemption or exception when it comes to a toxic person.  I've been trying to free myself of "human toxins" lately and find that it's hard to do in workplace environments. Maybe not all of them, but in my current environment it is.  The less people you see in a day, the harder it is to avoid the problem ones. But what can you do?  The best thing I have been able to remind myself is the name of the game is "coexistence" not really getting along or feuding or anything else.

Do you ever get that feeling that instead of living in a moment, you're watching yourself epic fail at the moment you're living?  I've had that feeling a lot today.  It wasn't particularly dignified or newsworthy (oh geez, there I go again with the Love Actually reference) but it was like I just watched myself as a fly on the wall and just wanted to hit pause and ask myself what I was doing. This leads me to routine, and the many problems with the idea of routine.  But I think I want to save that for its own entry.  I feel like I could rant about routine forever. So I'm going to just cut this off here before I actually complete a thought and make some sense for a change. I would hate to make some sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment