Monday, March 10, 2014

Early Retirement

I don't think I normally do things like this, as least not intentionally.  The people who know me best would know my social tendencies better than I do, I suspect.  And really, I prefer to be out of the loop when it comes to current events until things get pretty well sorted out credibility wise. But today I'd like to try my hand at a response blog. Today I'm going to respond to the currently trending news of Rashard Mendenhall's retirement at the tender age of 26.

I'll give you a little time to read and digest his testimony before I dive right in here.

I will give him props to write his own retirement article before the media got ahold of the retirement rumors and spun it  to "he has a secret injury" or "he has a wild home life he needs to tend to" or "he just isn't the Rashard Mendenhall from six years ago when he joined the Steelers" or something like that.  People are more apt to believe the media than the subject of the media once stories like that are dispensed. And that's not right.

But to me, it seems sort of hypocritical to write the article he did. I know, it's a bold statement to make, especially when I am a nobody behind a computer screen in whatever town, some state. But I'm a Steelers fan, and yeah, I'm in Pittsburgh.  No, this isn't any sort of gripe about Mendenhall's performance as a Steeler, or his leaving the organization. I don't know enough facts to form that kind of opinion in a biased medium.

What I'm getting at is how he starts off talking about how he just wanted to vanish, disappear, and quietly leave the game.  I respected that.  In fact, I truly wish that was all he said.  Not that I believe him to not be a very interesting guy... his story is valid. His points are valid.  He just makes so many. In a sense, Mendenhall went from the calm demeanor to completely on the defense. I feel like he shouldn't have to justify his retirement, or at least not in a particularly long article. The more you say, the more ammo you give the critical audience you've grown so sick of.  I guess that's what I'm trying to say. I mean, he said enough to get me to respond.

Do I think the article was poorly written? No. I think he writes very well, and I hope he has a successful writing career, and he sounds to be a very professional guy. I just would have expected somebody who makes a point to show he left money, fame, etc. at the table to pursue his own happiness would have taken a more quiet exit from the game, which let me remind you, was his intent at the beginning of the article. Your biggest fans would accept something simple like: "I'm retiring. Even though I'm 26, it's just time for me to do me." and then not address the media on it. As I said, his points are valid, but I think they would have been even more poignant if he would have led with the subtle retirement notice, waited for the media frenzy, waited for the media to frizzle, and then go public.

To me the article just says "I'm looking for some attention to say I'm sick of getting attention." But don't take my word for it.  Form your own opinion and go with your gut. That's all I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment