Sunday, March 16, 2014

Diary from the LepreKel

I have only been out for St. Patrick's day twice. Once was at Coty's Landing in Saginaw, MI where I think I spent more time hanging out with my sister than the friend I went there to meet.  I don't remember getting hammered. I don't think I did. I know my friend did, so at least chalk up to "I wasn't the worst there." And my friend was embarrassing enough for the both of us, I'm pretty sure.  Those days are long behind me now. if I want to be brave, and make my story here completely linear, we're going to call this St. Paddy's Day 2011.  Please, don't hold me to that, but it sounds fairly accurate.

Since then, I have moved to Pittsburgh.  My recollections of 2012, 2013, and 2014 are as follows:

In 2012, St. Paddy's day was a Saturday.  I know this because I worked. And I made green omelettes for my residents filled with asparagus and cheese. They were not bad, considering they contained asparagus. The Friday before, I remember my co-worker wanting to leave early because he had something to do...I can't remember what, but I know that I came into work that day with an insane headache that I couldn't shake and I also called the program coordinator to see if I could go home.  Saturday I only felt a wee bit better. I also remember getting a txt from my cousin Aaron who was on leave from the Army and travelling ...he somehow ended up in Philly coming from Las Vegas to Michigan. Airways are great, aren't they?  But that txt conversation was the highlight of my day.  Because when I got out of work, I could hardly keep my head up. I managed to drive over the Highland Park Bridge, merge onto 28, and get home with time to throw on PJs and crash for the night at 7pm.

Last year is a complete blank for me. Given the likely scenario, and considering that St. Patrick's Day would have been a Sunday, two things are probably the idea.  I likely went to church and/or worked.  More than likely there was a St. Patrick's Day dance for the residents (somebody e-mail me ibanezhockey@gmail.com to write a blog about the experience of a dance, if you'd like to read about it) where I got the most incredible doughnut / cookie / scrumptious thing ever. I feel like that was also the day the van broke down and I waited in the van for over an hour at the gas station for AAA to come.   Even if that wasn't the case, I would like to submit that now as my memory because it seems to have turned out wicked amusing.

This year, I made myself go out for the second time in my life.  I forwent my daily blogging obligations to have some material to blog about.  Par for the course, I had to work in the morning, then drove past "my bar" on the way home.  It was packed.  I saw a poster when I went there for lunch one day that they were having a party and decided to go home and change into something green and see where the wind took me.  I met up with a couple friends, had me some green beer, and more green beer, and more green beer.  My friends left, and I settled in to watch a combination of the roaming bagpiper and the Red Sox game. The DJ played some music and I wound up with a Yuengling T-Shirt that says "I survived St. Patrick's Day 2014 At _______."   I like the implications of leaving it blank.  It makes it sound like I had such a good time I couldn't remember where I was. And I find that pretty humorous.  I was home by 10, watched / lightly napped to the Columbus Blue Jackets beat the Minnesota Wild in a Shootout they were destined to lose.  They were down 0-2, then got within 1, Sergei made a huge stop on the third shot and the Jackets tied it up, only to blow the Wild away on the first extra shot.

All in All, it was a good time, and it's not even St. Patrick's DAY yet.  But the party was amazing.  And I love being a part of a nice bar crowd who shouts "salt, salt, salt" during Margaritaville. I do wish I would've heard (probably if I stuck around longer I would have) piano man cause that's a fun one too.  Or Sweet Caroline, but I think that's more of a baseball song than a bar song.  Oh, and the Sox lost.  I got home in time to miss the last out, which was actually why I went home....to hopefully see and hear a Sox comeback in the bottom of the 9th.  Oh well, Here's To The Night anyways.... CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment