Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Wonderings

What makes for good reading? Vivid imagery, captivating action, the combination of the two? What makes something worth continuing past the initial sentence? Does the title reflect on how one will dive in? 

Maybe it's because it's been so long since I've been to a work shopping group, or maybe it's because I just watched Jurassic Park and that movie really pumps the adrenaline for me, but I spend more time lately wondering about what gets me into thing things I read, watch, or listen to. 

I guess it's hard to imagine Jurassic Park as a book. Imagery like that is something I wouldn't be able to picture with just the words. But I haven't read it as a book, so I don't know how the island is described.  That's kind of the downfall of books going to movies too, isn't it? Take something like Chronicles of Narnia. I have yet to see any of the movies aside from the first one because I prefer my vision of Narnia and my vision of the Snow Queen to not be clouded with actors and actresses. Sort of like if I would have gotten into Harry Potter. Being inclined to watch movies with Alan Rickman, I would have never been able to read them the same knowing Snapes to be the sad robot from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. And I wouldn't be able to read LOTR without thinking of Radio Flyer every time I see the word Frodo (or Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy with the other guy). 

So I tend to lean more towards a flow of action to keep me interested in something to read. I was absolutely Fascinated with the Chronicles of Narnia series. I feel like literature and film should be separate entities. It seems like literature would be a bigger money maker if people weren't set on "waiting for the movie version." I mean, books are still more expensive than movie tickets, right? 

..and come on, apparently only four movies get featured at the Oscars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment